2017 KTM 450 SX-F Factory Edition
- Airbox: The new airbox design offers maximum protection of the air filter against soiling, while ensuring maximum airflow in conjunction with lighter intake snorkel that is made of a new material to reduce the deformation due to air intake pulse for improved performance. The new Twin Air filter is easier and safer to mount and can be changed without tools in seconds - a standard and original KTM feature.
- Battery and wiring harness: As in the past, all new SX-F engines are fitted with the proven electric starter - a unique KTM feature and a major benefit at all levels of motocross racing. For 2016 the SX-F range fits a super compact and lightweight 1.1 lb lithium-ion starter battery into a standard motocross bike, providing safe starting of the engine and reducing the weight by 2.2 lbs over the 2015 model!
- Seat: Ergonomically perfect, the new seat has a higher foam volume, which offers great comfort and durability, while weighing the same as the previous model.
- Frame: The new frame design provides approximately 20 % higher torsional rigidity and 30 % less longitudinal stiffness, with newly designed engine stays for less vibration. This increased flexibility results in better absorption of the energy created from the front and rear wheel loads supporting the suspension for more comfort and less rider fatigue. A 0.4° steeper steering angle and a 10 mm shorter wheel base contribute to better handling, and last but not least it´s lighter than the previous model.
- Footpeg: A new sophisticated "No-Dirt" footpeg solution prevents dirt from blocking the pegs and stopping them from returning to the proper position, even when digging in deep ruts. In addition the new footpegs are larger, more stable, lighter than on previous models and offer more grip.
- Bodywork: For the new generation of SX models the KTM factory riders were involved in shaping the bodywork together with the specialists from KTM R&D and Kiska Design. The goal was to achieve complete harmony between rider and bike down to the finest details. The results are all-new plastics that provide perfect ergonomics and contact points for the rider, maximum freedom of movement, a lower seat height of between 10 to 20 mm (rear end) and better comfort, especially in the rear part of the seat.
- Swingarm: AThe new SX-F generation features a reworked cast aluminum swingarm. The updated design offers reduced weight and an optimized flex behavior created with a single-component casting process. The weight reduction is 250 grams.
- Graphics: Red Bull KTM Factory Racing Team graphics. To give you wings.
- Fuel tank: All models of the SX range have new lightweight polythene tanks with a capacity of 1.85 gallons and an integrated fuel pump. A filler cap with an inside thread makes for an easy and reliable closure.
- Cooling System: The proven integrated KTM cooling system routes the coolant from the cylinder head through the frame triangle, directly to newly developed aluminum radiators made by WP, which have a new filler cap system and are made of a stiffer alloy. Due to flow optimized internal circulation and CFD-calculated air ventilation, the cooling efficiency has been improved by approximately 10% and the sophisticated radiator guards provide protection in case of a crash.
- Handlebar: Orange anodized CNC-machined triple clamps feature a rubber damping system, Neken handlebar and ODI lock-on grips. These triple clamps have been something of a KTM trademark for years. Ensuring a precise handling, they perceptibly support the flex characteristics, and with it, the action of the forks. The newly developed rubber damping system for the handlebar clamp reduce the vibration level. Of course the clamps retain their forward and back adjustability for any rider preference.?
- Monoshock: The new generation of monoshock made by WP Suspension has been developed for the new SX models in conjunction with the new frame and swingarm architecture, including the reworked linkage system and the new WP forks. The linkage system has also been reworked with a revised geometry and longer pull rods, which was tested last season in most of the KTM factory bikes.
- Forks: The KTM SX models are fitted with a revolutionary new and super-lightweight WP fork, a 48 mm USD air-sprung fork developed by WP Suspension in close collaboration with KTM. It is a split fork with separate functions for each fork leg. The damping functions are on the right side, whereas the air spring is in the left. The left leg features a capsuled air cartridge. This air spring is easy to adjust to any rider weight via a single air valve and a standard fork air pump. The right fork leg integrates a completely new damping cartridge to fit single damping leg requirements, and the damping can be adjusted to the track conditions or the rider’s preferences with a twist of a dial. The new fork with approximately 300 mm travel has outstanding response and excellent, very consistent damping characteristics, while also with a reduced weight of 1.4 kg compared to its predecessor.
- Triple Clamp: Top quality, CNC-machined triple clamps have been something of a KTM trademark for years. Ensuring a precise handling, they perceptibly support the flex characteristics, and with it, the action of the forks. For MY 16 the upper triple clamp features a newly developed rubber damping system for the handlebar clamp in order to reduce the vibration level of the handlebar. The clamps retain their forward and back adjustability for any rider preference.
- Weight reduction: The main target for the KTM engineers when developing the new SX-F generation was a massive weight reduction in conjunction with improved handling. The resulting loss of 7.9 lbs is outstanding, making the new KTM models the lightest bikes on the track.
- Engine: With new features such as more compact dimensions, stronger performance throughout the rev range and a weight reduction of 4 lbs, this newly developed powerplant is the lightest 450 engine on the off-road market. With a reworked single overhead camshaft cylinder head and the latest electronic fuel injection, the 450 SX-F has unrivalled power of more than 62 hp and a highly efficient power delivery.
- Cylinder head: An all-new camshaft controls intake and exhaust flow through optimized ports in the newly designed cylinder head. This activates four ultra-lightweight titanium valves via extremely rigid rocker arms, which are DLC coated on the intake side. This configuration allows engine speeds of up to 11,500 rpm. In addition, the head is 350 g lighter than the previous model due to the compact design.
- Cylinder head and piston: A new 6 mm shorter cylinder is more rigid and matched to the new cylinder head. An extremely lightweight box-in-box type piston together with a weight optimized piston pin contributed to the engine's low vibrations and quick revving character. The compression ratio is 12.75:1.
- Crankshaft: The 450 SX-F's crankshaft features 10 % more inertia (without increasing weight) and utilizes a shorter connecting rod over the previous model, which contributes to an overall compact and light engine with a snappy power delivery. A higher balancing factor reduces the vibration level. A plain big end bearing with two force-fitted bearing shells runs directly on the crank pin, and the overall design offers the customer lengthened service intervals.
- Counter balance shaft: The weight optimized, side-mounted counter balance shaft also time drives the water pump. Thanks to perfect mass balancing and low total oscillating mass, engine vibration is kept to a minimum even at the highest engine speeds.
- Electric starter: Like all KTM 4-Stroke motorcycles, the 450 SX-F is started with ease by pushing a button. Demonstrated time and time again, an electric starter can become an invaluable advantage in the heat of competition.
- Engine cases and covers: The completely new design of the die-cast engine cases allows for a much more centralized shaft configuration, raising the crankshaft by 7 mm and 9 mm backwards to centralize mass and for a weight savings of 1.2 lbs. Newly designed engine covers made of magnesium feature an advanced surface structure in order to reduce the wear caused by the rider's boots.
- Clutch: The 450 SX-F employs the KTM-developed DDS clutch (Damped Diaphragm Steel) with a wear-free steel basket and extremely heat resistant clutch plates. This design is distinguished by employing a diaphragm spring instead of coil springs, which makes for a considerably easier clutch action. The diaphragm spring also leaves sufficient space for a damping system integrated into the clutch hub, which benefits for both traction and durability.
- Transmission: The new engine of the 450 SX-F uses a lightweight 5-speed gearbox which perfectly matches to the power delivery of the large displacement engine. In addition the 1st and 3rd gears are treated with a special surface treatment for better reliability.
- Engine management system: The completely reworked Keihin Engine Management System, with electronic fuel injection, features an all-new 44 mm throttle body, which provides instantaneous response and maximum performance thanks to a revolutionary injector position. The new ECU (Engine Control Unit) includes a launch control for more efficient starts with different maps according to the gear sensor selection. In addition, the rider can activate optional maps for a different power delivery via the map select switch on the handlebar.
- Design: 1-cylinder, 4-stroke engine
- Displacement: 449.9 cm³
- Bore: 95 mm
- Stroke: 63.4 mm
- Starter: Electric starter
- Transmission: 5-speed
- Primary drive: 31:76
- Secondary gear ratio: 13:48
- Clutch: Wet, DDS multi-dISC clutch, Brembo hydraulics
- EMS: Keihin EMS
- Frame design: 25CrMo4 steel central-tube frame
- Front suspension: WP-USD, AER 48, Ø 48 mm
- Rear suspension: WP shock absorber with linkage
- Suspension travel (front): 300 mm
- Suspension travel (rear): 300 mm
- Front brake: DISC brake
- Rear brake: DISC brake
- Front brake dISC diameter: 260 mm
- Rear brake dISC diameter: 220 mm
- Chain: 5/8 x 1/4 in.
- Steering head angle: 63.9 deg.
- Wheelb.ase: 1485 ± 10 mm
- Ground clearance: 370 mm
- Seat height: 960 mm
- Tank capacity (approx.): 7 l
- Weight READY TO RACE (without fuel): 100.4 kg
- Engine Type
- 1-cylinder, 4-stroke engine
- 449.3 cm³
- Bore and Stroke
- 95 mm x 63.4 mm
- Front Suspension
- WP-USD, AER 48, Ø 48 mm
- Front Brakes
- Disc brake
- Rear Suspension
- WP shock absorber with linkage
- Rear Brakes
- Disc brake
- Dry Weight
- 100.4 kg
- Fuel Capacity
- 7 L
- 1485 ± 10 mm
- Ground Clearance
- 370 mm
- Seat Height
- 960 mm